Run of the Millfield


As part of my News & Online Writing module at university, I had to set-up and run a hyperlocal website. I created Run of the Millfield, a website dedicated to covering the Millfield suburb of Sunderland. In running the site, I had the chance to interview local councillors - including the Mayor of Sunderland - as well as key figures in political groups and local organisations.

RotM had a succesful run, gaining over 2,500 page views in around seven months. The website also had a Twitter page, which amassed a decent following of 50 followers and provided live updates on events such as protests over a mosque and a destructive fire on a take-away.
I closed the site in May 2013 due to other commitments but the project allowed me to hone my reporting, interviewing and key news skills in what was a particularly hostile time for Millfield, with the protests over a proposed mosque ongoing.

0 comments:

Post a Comment